Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Things to Remember


This picture should have made the year-end video, but it was buried in my email and I just found it again today while I was at school. It's from October, when Sylvia went to my Dad's house while we went to a football game. Sylvia loves Darla the Dog. If I say, "We're going to Grandpa's house!" She yells "Darda!!!" Then she chants "Panpaw" all the way there.

******************

Sylvia ate her first pants-less dinner tonight.  What a milestone, huh?  I should have let her take off her shirt, too, because we had spaghetti and meat sauce.  It's her favorite dinner by far, and she makes a gigantic, giggling mess!  She ate so much for dinner that she was allowed to have dessert, and since she was already covered in spaghetti sauce I thought I'd give her a little slice of an ice cream sandwich! I've never seen her so happy at the table.  Every time she took a bite, she shivered and giggled and looked at us, waiting for us to laugh, which we did over and over again. 

******************

Today in class, my kids were making "bumper stickers," which are really just sentence strips with little pictures, symbols, or quotes that represent them and their beliefs.  I was showing my example bumper sticker - one that I made years and years ago.  I didn't teach this unit last year, so I hadn't looked at my example since before Sylvia was born.  I was explaining all of my pictures and symbols, then I got to a quote on my bumper sticker that came from my Mom.  I told the kids that family is important to me, and when I was making my bumper sticker, for some reason, something my mom used to say to me when I was a little girl popped in my head, so I wrote it down.  I started to read it aloud, and halfway through it I choked up and started crying, thinking of Mom and of Sylvia, of course.  Here's what she used to say to me all the time: "If God lined up all the little girls in the whole wide world and told me I could pick any one I wanted......I'd still pick you."  Melt my pregnant, hormonal, crazy-crying heart!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Well, shoot. That's probably the sweetest thing I have heard in a while!