Friday, February 4, 2011

Seriously, I've Had About Enough

Okay, people.  I'm at my wit's end.  Actually, I'm within inches of my wit's end, but it's getting really close.  Let's talk about babies and their crazy health problems.  Perhaps someone out there in cyberspace might know what the heck I should do!

Three weeks ago (on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, to be exact), Sylvia went in to the doctor's office for a well visit and walked out of the doctor's office with RSV.  For exactly one week we fought major cold and flu-like symptoms with breathing treatments and Robitussin.  Honestly, it wasn't that bad.  She had about two days of really bad symptoms and one week of a runny nose.  Never did she ever have a problem sleeping, so I should thank my lucky stars.

This week, when I thought all was well and we were back to normal, she developed the world's most heinous diaper rash.  I would post a picture, but the hubs has moral issues with me posting pics of our daughter's "up the skirt" area.  He wouldn't even let me post the ultra-sound that PROVED she was a girl.  That's how protective he is of this little gem.  Anyway, on Wednesday morning, I dropped her off at day care and tried to pull the whole, "I know she had a fever yesterday, but I promise she's fine today, she just has a really bad diaper rash, let me call the doctor so they can fax you permission to give her Tylenol, I swear she's fine, I gotta go, bye!"  That did not work.  When I called at 9:00 to get the fax number, I made the mistake of telling them who I was, which was followed by...."Ohhhh.  Linda wants to talk to you."  Linda is the director.  I knew it wasn't good news.

Long story short, she played the game where she beats around the bush long enough for me to realize that she needs me to come and pick up my kid.  I really wish she would have just said, "Come pick up your kid."  I'm a person who thrives on concrete and clear directions.  Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it!  So I left school (thank heaven for my student teacher!!) and took Sylvia to the doctor.  It turns out she has a yeast infection!  Yippee!!!  Seriously, I was thrilled to hear this.  That meant it wasn't food related and there was actually something we could do to help her.  She prescribed Nystatin, which I've heard really good things about.  So we started using it on Wednesday and so far it seems to be working, little by little.  She still has a crazy rash, but it doesn't look nearly as painful.  I dropped her off this morning and thought we were finally in the clear.  I had a great day with my kiddos, I was happy to see Friday roll around once again, I pulled in the driveway whistling a chipper little tune.....and then I walked in the front door to find...

SYLVIA HAS AN ENORMOUS RED SPOT ON HER FACE!  She was standing right by the front door and she looked up at me like, "Oh!  Hey Mommy!  Welcome home!  I'm just playing with my toys and paying no attention to THIS GIGANTIC RED SPOT ON MY FACE!  How was your day?"  Sylvain was sitting on the couch and I looked at him like he had brought home a stray dog.  "What is wrong with her face?!!!"  He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Oh yeah, they said they saw that today at day care.  She was scratching it.  It might be bothering her."

WHUUUUUU??????

She had red cheeks when she went to bed last night and I thought that was weird, but she did NOT look like this when I dropped her off this morning!  I dropped my bags and hung my head in despair.  Are you KIDDING ME?  What more can this poor kid go through?  And how do I even begin to figure out what the hell this is???  You can't look up "gigantic red spot on baby face" on Google and expect to get any sort of reasonable answer!  It's not on her eye, it's not on her cheek, it's not on her forehead.  It's on THE SIDE OF HER FACE.  And I have no idea what it is or how it got there.  We watched her play for a while and decided that it didn't seem to be bothering her.  I took her temperature before bed and it was normal.  I guess we'll just wait until tomorrow and see if the gigantic red spot on her face has taken over her entire body by then.  I really don't want to go to the doctor for the fourth time in three weeks.  They might deem me "unfit."

Here are some pictures.  Does anyone have any clue what this is?  Is it just dry skin?  I'm afraid to put anything on it for fear she might rub it into her eye!  I'm stumped, and frankly, I'm tired of mystery baby ailments.  So I thought I'd let someone else try to figure this out:





Honestly, the pictures don't look nearly as scary as real life.  My baby looks like she got beat up by another baby at day care.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

Sally said...

Honey, I have no sure answer, but it kinda looks like severely chapped skin to me. A thin layer of vaseline wouldn't hurt, even if it got smeared into her eye, and may soothe the area. Try that. A small drop of antihistimine may help too (ask the doctor about that first). Good luck. Love you all. Sloppy kisses for Sylvia!

krissy said...

Sorry rach. Lanolin might help too without irritating it. That's what I always used on Doras diaper rash and it seemed to help. Poor little Silvia.