Monday, December 21, 2009

I Am One Lucky Mama!


Meredith, Me, and Laura
Over the weekend, these two dear friends from my old school threw the most beautiful baby shower a girl could ask for! This was such a special day for many reasons. First of all, I got to see all of my old friends again and I realized how much I really miss them. Second, there was once a time where I was so afraid of pregnancy that I almost took off work while Laura was pregnant with her first child for fear that her water breaking might flood my classroom, so these ladies know that I've come a long way! Finally (the most exciting news), Meredith and Laura are ALSO pregnant, although they are both on their second trip to baby land while I'm only on my first. We're all due within a couple months of each other - I'm due in April, Meredith in May, and Laura in June! Can't you just imagine all of the neurotic phone calls we'll be making to each other? Okay, I might be the only one making phone calls because when this little girl is screaming her head off or I accidentally drop her on the floor, I'm going to have to call somebody and they've both been there before. Just because we live in three different cities does not mean we can't commiserate together over baby woes. I can't wait!



Mom's Gift
I got some wonderful, wonderful presents at the shower, including our car seat, our bumper for the crib, the monitors, a mirror for the car seat, our fabulous diaper bag, a nursing pillow, and some adorable nightgowns for the sweetest girl. However, when I opened my Mom's gift, I almost lost it. She is so thoughtful about shower gifts and I'm so glad Meredith and Laura invited her. She wrote a little poem about the mattress for the crib, which was ordered and on its way to our house. Then I dug beneath the tissue paper in the bag to find my own old yellow doll baby from when I was a wee little tot! As soon as I saw the top of her yarn-haired head I squealed, "Oh my God! Where did you find this?!" And she got all choked up and said, "Do you remember her? I didn't think you'd remember her!" I showed it to everyone who oohed and aahed and asked what her name was, but neither of us could remember. I just remember carrying her around everywhere, as is evidenced by the countless stains and overall rattiness that only a well-loved dolly can have. Then Mom gave me a framed picture of me as a baby, which I will most certainly NOT post here, but will tell you that it features the baldest of all bald baby girls in the world. Now let's all say a prayer that this child is born with hair. I was not a cute baby. People thought I had cancer. Seriously, I hope my kid has hair. They make baby wigs nowadays, don't they? Because bonnets are totally out.

Meredith, Me, Lori, Debbie, Tabitha, and Laura
Like I said before, it was so nice to see all of my old friends from my first school. Every teacher you talk to will tell you that their first school is like home and it has a special place in their heart. That is certainly true, but I think my experience with these ladies was more than just a case of "first school = home." Yes, they taught me how to be a good teacher and they supported me and coached me through my first four years. But somehow, between the planning periods and the staff meetings and the portfolio scoring trainings, we all became very close friends. I saw two of them have babies and one have a grand baby! I saw one of them send a kid off to college and welcomed one as "the new teacher" in the group. I cannot put into words how special they are to me and how grateful I am for the love and support they've given to me over the years. When I found out I was pregnant, a little part of me was sad that I wouldn't be at that school with the people who know me best. The shower was such a thoughtful way for all of us to get together again and I feel truly blessed to have such great friends.

The Cake!
Now, one of my favorite Mommy Bloggers, Heather Armstrong, wrote about food when she was pregnant. She said that all food tasted so amazingly good to a pregnant woman that it should be considered a sin. Then she went on to describe how, when pregnant, one does not eat food, but rather one makes out with food. I thought the comparison was hilarious, and now I know that it is completely true. So, if you'll excuse me, I have to go make out with this leftover piece of cake.



No comments: