Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Twenty Months

Dear Miss Margot,

You are first on my to-do list these days, my dear.  I owe you a good, long, decent letter about how awesome and fantastic you are.  You are growing faster than I'd like to admit and we continue to notice new things you can do every day.  Today, for example, we were working on an alphabet puzzle and I'll be darned if you didn't know almost every single letter!  How did you learn that?!  You are communicating and talking more and more, which is a blessing and a curse because sometimes you get SO frustrated when we can't understand what you're trying to say. 

You also tend to throw fits when you don't get your way and your favorite word is "MINE!"  This brings me to our most recent disciplinary measure: the introduction of time out!  You hate it, as you should, and I hate it because there's nothing worse than hearing you scream in your bed for one whole minute.  But darlin', you just can't go around hitting people whenever you want.  The good news is, it seems to be working and you are getting much better!

I think your favorite time of day is right after I get home from work.  It doesn't matter if I've been gone for 20 minutes or the whole day - when I walk in the door you run and scream "Mamaaaa!!!" and bury your head in my knees.  You raise up your arms and fuss until I pick you up and you snuggle your head into my neck and shoulder, shoving your hands down between your knees as you curl up and try to get all of yourself into as much of me as possible.  We are a snuggle-filled family, but you win the Greatest Snuggles Award!  Daddy thinks I shouldn't hold you all the time or snuggle with you as much, especially since the new baby will be here in July, but I tell him that you won't always want to be this close to me, so I'm taking every minute of snuggle I can get!  Someday you'll want nothing to do with me, so if you want me to hold you while I pack my lunch in the morning, so be it!  I'll hold you all day long and when the baby comes, I'll hold you both at once if I have to. 

I'm not too worried about your reaction to the new baby, mainly because we have a secret weapon that will act in your favor - the Big Big Sister.  You think Sylvia is the greatest person on the planet and you follow her everywhere she goes.  You try so hard to run like her, color like her, climb like her, and right now she doesn't mind one bit!  She loves teaching you things and her favorite phrase is, "C'mon, Margot!"  She takes such good care of you and I know that you two will keep each other busy when the tiny one arrives.  I'm sure you'll have your moments, just like she did when she was a two year old with a new baby in the house, but we'll survive.  I can't wait for you to be a big sister, too!  You get the honor of being a big sister AND a little sister, so you are extremely special!

So, Miss Margot, I want you to know that I love you to death and I want the very best for you and your big sister.  I love watching you grow and learn and laugh and play.  You are the most wonderful little middle there ever was and I hope you know how special you are! 

Here's GG, my Grandma Margaret, your namesake!  You love our visits to her house.
Love forever and ever and always and ever,
Mama

No comments: