Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Much Needed Saturday

Well, it's been quite a week around here. All of this diabetes hullabaloo has taken its toll on both of us, and on my students! I've missed two days in the last two weeks and my kids are starting to feel "overworked." Their words, not mine. It's that time of year where we all get on each others' nerves anyway, so I don't blame them. They certainly deserve a break and we have lots of fun things planned for next week, so don't worry, the fourth graders will be okay!

As for me and Sylvain, we really needed today. We woke up this morning to two inches of fresh snow on the ground and a cancelled Bradley Class, which was so nice! I took my time making eggs for breakfast while he shovelled and salted the sidewalk and driveway, then backed his car in so he could take me to the pharmacy to load up on blood monitor supplies. As we slid our way out of our street and up the main thoroughfare, I closed my eyes and thanked God for a wonderful husband. I remember when I was little, Mom had to dig her car out of the snow all by herself, and if she had to go to the pharmacy for supplies, she would have had to drive herself there. Her misfortunes in life have taught me to never take my husband for granted, because I could be doing it all by myself. All of this. By myself. And that would stink.

I spent the better part of the day studying for my National Board exam coming up in a couple of weeks. I have no idea if I'm studying the right stuff, but whatever. I studied. I feel productive. We watched the UK game, I spoke to a friend on the phone, we ate dinner, watched a movie, and now we're ready for bed and I'm just so thankful for this long, quiet day at home. I finally feel normal again after days of depression and anxiety. I finally feel "balanced," or as balanced as I'm going to get with this giant belly. My blood sugar numbers have all been normal and I'm getting the hang of the eating schedule, although I still don't like it very much. Today was the day that I finally believed that everything really is going to be okay. All is well. We have so much to look forward to and this little bump in the road isn't going to mean a thing when it's all said and done.

P.S. I thought about changing my banner picture, thinking it's awfully ironic that a gestational diabetetic lady would have that one front and center, but those cupcakes are just too cute for words!

P.P.S. Oh my goodness, I just re-read my post and I would like to clarify that I did not mean to imply that my mom ever took her husband for granted! I should have worded that better. She certainly did not. What I meant to say is, I was lucky enough to watch her take care of a home and two kids by herself, which taught me to be a strong, independent woman AND it taught me to appreciate the kind of help a husband brings to a family. Oh heavens - Mom, I love you. Sorry if that wasn't clear!!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Going it alone was no fun at all, but I still always felt blessed to have a good life with good friends and 2 great kids. However, having a husband is way better!! (I haven't shoveled snow in almost 17 years now!!)