Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Five Months

Dear Margot,

You have been quite the chatterbox lately!  You love to gurgle and coo and siiiiiiing sing sing!  You especially love to make noises when Sylvia's around.  It seems you have a lot to say to her.  No one brightens your face the way she does and I'm so glad!  You're rolling over from your back to your belly, but you don't seem to be in too much of a hurry to get anywhere.  You mostly just like to arch your back to look at what's behind you or to get onto your belly so you can push up and feel important.  We love watching you slobber all over your blue puppy and your toy cow.  You've also started eating rice cereal a couple of times a day and I must say, you seem to enjoy it!



For Thanksgiving, we had dinner with Grammy's family and everyone commented on how "content" you are.  It's so true.  You really don't cause a fuss unless it's absolutely necessary.  We had dessert at Grandpa's and folks said the same thing.  You're such an easy baby!  Grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins just can't get enough of your chubby cheeks and your sweet, toothless smile!



 You've been waking up a lot at night lately, but when you do, you eat and go right back to sleep.  I'm so torn about it because part of me gets very frustrated and thinks I need to just leave you alone and let you "cry it out" so you can figure out how to get back to sleep.  But once I'm up and you're in my arms in the rocking chair, I become very grateful for those middle-of-the-night snuggles.  It's like I can actually feel you getting bigger every night (which makes sense, since you're eating like a champ).  Your feet get farther away from my waist, your head takes up more room in my arms.  And your chubby little arms and legs are all curled up against me and it's the greatest, most delicious snugglefest in the world!  I know these nights won't last forever.  I know someday you won't need me in the middle of the night.  I know someday, I won't even know where you are in the middle of the night and that scares me to death.  So I'm taking advantage of these small little moments, where you and I get to be together.  The moments where we need each other.  And then I wake up in the morning and drink tons of coffee to get me through the day.  It's totally fine.


There's another reason why I love our night time snuggles - Uncle Evan deployed to Afghanistan this month.  Whenever you and I are together in the small morning hours, when it seems like the rest of the world is sleeping, I think about him and I know that he's living life in the daylight.  I think about how hard he is working and what he is working for.  I think about how big you'll be when he comes home again.  I think about all of the things I want for your future - opportunities to follow your dreams - and I think about how his work helps make your future possible.  We send up lots of prayers together, you and me.  I somehow feel like you and Uncle Evan will have a very special relationship, because you're spending so much time next to my heart while he's in it.


It's been a wonderful month, Miss Margot.  You are a sweet and special girl.  Thanks for loving life and thanks for being YOU!

Love always,
Mama 

No comments: