Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Crampy McCramperson

Two nights ago I could hardly sleep for all the cramping I was getting in the sides of my stomach. I was trying to decide if it was something serious, but I noticed that it wasn't like menstrual cramps, it was more like charlie horse cramps, so I didn't call the doctor right away. After consulting many moms at school the next morning, I discovered that this pain is quite normal when you're body starts to STRETCH. Ach!!! My body is STRETCHING! I don't know why I find that so strange, I know all about stretch marks, but I never really stopped to think about the fact that you can actually feel the stretching part. S0 weird.

Last night I decided to take some affirmative action against this stretching sensation and started a new yoga routine. I've been putting off yoga for some time, telling myself I'm too busy for it, but these cramps were a huge wake-up call. I thought, "okay, body, if you want to stretch, we'll stretch. But we're doing it my way. The normal way, with yoga." So there I was, doing all kinds of awesome stretches on my little blue mat in the basement and I have to say, I felt so much better when I was done! I felt like I was finally letting my body move the way it wants to move and I didn't have any cramping in the middle of the night last night. Take that, stretching tummy! I win!

1 comment:

Laura said...

my grandma swears that rubbing lanolin on her tummy every night (for all SIX of her pregnancies) prevented her from getting stretch marks