Saturday, August 17, 2013

More Catching Up...

Evan came home last Saturday for his two week leave from the Army!  He left Afghanistan toward the end of July and went to Tacoma, Washington for a while before coming HOME HOME HOME!!!!  It was a great day.  His plane landed at 6:30am and we were all there, waving flags, wearing our fourth of July best, and biting our nails until we could see him (or maybe that was just me).  Sylvain took a ton of pictures, but we didn't white balance the camera (I guess???) and the pictures aren't great, but here are a few just to give you an idea....


We all got out of bed and met before the sun came up, which was really exciting, to be honest.  We don't usually see this many family and friends at that time of day!  Then we sat in the lobby until he called Sally's cell phone to say his plane landed.  Then we waited....and waited.........and wwaaaiiiitttteeeedddd.....................


THEN WE SAW HIM!  HOORAY!!!  
 I really can't find the words to explain how it felt.  The best I can do is to say that from the minute he left the airport last fall to the minute he was in my sight on Saturday morning, it was kind of like I was living underwater.  There were times when it was downright hard to breathe for a while, which is why I stopped watching the news.  I just made Sylvain promise that he'd keep up with what's going on over there and tell me if anything serious was happening in Evan's general area.  The days leading up to his leave were kind of like Christmas combined with the first day of school combined with the day you bring a new baby home from the hospital.  Just a whole lot of excitement and anticipation and a little bit of nervous energy everywhere.  It was awesome.

Then there was this and I cried a little.....


I've looked at this picture a hundred times in the last two days because...oh my gosh.  A mama and her baby.  Except he's not a baby, he's a full grown Army Man, but he's still her baby, right?  Right?!  It's the moment every Army Mom waits for and when he hugged her it was like I could finally breathe again.  Phew.  He's home.

We went out for breakfast and Sylvia kept thinking that the "airport" was the "army" so that was funny.  It was nice to sit next to him and hear him talk about all the things he planned to do, to see him laughing with my brothers and my dad and my husband.  Like the missing puzzle piece was put back into place, even if just for a little while.

Anyway, that's really the biggest event from the last couple weeks, but there's also some other things of little to no importance.  Such as....

I got bangs.  Not sure how I feel about them still, but I don't hate them.  I can't decide if I look like an old lady who's trying too hard or if I actually look my age.  I do like how I can wear them in lots of different ways: straight and in my eyes (which I've grown to like, really), swooped to the side, or pinned back like they always used to be.  They're growing on me (har har).

Tomorrow I'll post pictures of our big event from today, I just have to get some off of our phones first.  Sylvain took Sylvia on a Riverboat Princess Cruise and let's just say.....it was the greatest day of her life. 

No comments: