Friday, July 13, 2012


Fun Fact:  I was born in the same hospital as Margot, but I was born thirty-one years ago and she was born three weeks ago.  She doesn't look a day over two weeks old, though, does she?

One thing I've really been looking forward to is the World Choir Games in Cincinnati this July.  To be honest, I was a little bummed when I realized that the dates for the WCG were so close to my due date because I wanted to be a volunteer and score some free tickets to the competitions and concerts.  Earlier this week, I reserved some tickets for today's Children's Choir competition and I really, REALLY wanted to take Sylvia with me.  I thought it would be fun for her to see kids singing and it would be a great thing for us to do together on my birthday.  I understood that she may not sit through all of it (especially since I know she can't even sit through church on Sundays), so I was prepared to leave if we had to.  Well....we had to. 

It was no fault of hers, though.  We waited in line for an hour before the show started, and even though I had an arsenal of snacks, new toys and even a book about trains in my bag, I just couldn't keep that sweet girl as quiet as she was supposed to be.  She wasn't bad AT ALL, she was just an excited two year old, and after the first couple of songs, she had no business being in a small auditorium during a choir competition.  She has absolutely no idea how to whisper, especially when she's excited.  After the third song, an usher said to me, "Ma'am, if you want to take her to the lobby until she calms down, I can let you back in for the next performance?"  I felt bad for her.  She felt bad for me.  I decided it was best for us to just cut our losses and go home.  I didn't want Sylvia to think she was bad, so when we got to the lobby I said, "Yay!  Wasn't that a fun show?!  Did you love it?  What pretty music!  Now, let's go home."  And she was totally down with that.  I didn't mind one bit, either, because my body was telling me to GO HOME AND FEED YOUR BABY!!  We sang show tunes in the car and I was completely satisfied, because in the end I knew that I got exactly what I wanted - some musical one-on-one time with Sylvia.

We gave it the ol' college try...

...but she had much more fun outside with the pigs.

After I came home and fed Margot, I took a nap, then we all had a lovely lunch together.  Sylvain took Sylvia shopping, then put her down for a nap, and I held a sleeping Margot on my chest while I watched more consecutive minutes of TV than I've been able to watch in a very long time.  After naps, we loaded up the car and headed to my Dad's house for pizza and birthday pie!  Sylvia loved singing Happy Birthday and blowing out my candles for me.

I missed the opportunity to photograph Sylvia riding around the backyard in my Dad's wheel barrow, but I didn't miss the chance to snap a picture of Dad and The Girls after dinner.  Margot woke up for the occasion!  She sat on my Dad's lap (and Sally's lap) for a good solid hour without falling asleep!  She's getting so big.

Fun times with Grandpa!
All in all, it was a marvelous birthday!  I certainly can't complain about my age when I have two beautiful girls and a sweet, loving family to make me feel so special.


Erin Lynne said...

You're not 31, you're 31-derful. No one can complain about that! :)

krissy said...

Happy Birthday Rach!