Monday, May 28, 2012

Words for Baby

Oh Sweet Girl,

We're approaching the end of our special time together, just you and me.  You have no idea how excited I am to see you, but I'm just a tiny bit sad that soon you'll belong to everyone else, instead of being just mine.  You are such a part of me and I know I'll never be this close to your every move again.  I can't wait to see the elbows, knees and feet that have been kicking me for months.  I can tell by your movements that you are ready to be out!  You are one go-getter of a little girl and you have some big plans for your time here.  I'm so lucky to be a part of your story.

I want you to know what a gift we consider you to be.  I remember when we found out that Sylvia was a girl.  I certainly had to let her "girl-ness" sink in for quite a while.  I was terrified, really.  The thought of raising a girl was probably the scariest thought I've ever had to think, but mostly just because I'm a girl myself, and I know how hard things can be.  But when we found out YOU were a girl....ooooh heavens, I breathed such a sigh of relief.  You're not just any girl, my dearest.  You're THE SISTER.  You're the gift.  You're the one that turns Sylvia into THE SISTER, too, instead of just a girl.  We are giving both of you the gift of each other and I couldn't be more grateful.  I know I still have lots of work to do, raising two girls, but I feel like my job will be much easier down the road.  You won't just have a Mom to lean on when things get tough.  You'll have a sister!  And when Sylvia meets life's challenges and triumphs, you'll be there for her, too.  What a blessing you are to all of us!  I'm so glad you're joining our little family.  I really think we need you desperately.

No pressure, though, little one.  I don't expect you to be perfect because I know I won't be perfect either.  I'll try not to compare you and Sylvia all the time, but the truth is, she's the only experience I have with raising a kid so far.  I've come to the conclusion that comparisons are inevitable.  I'm excited to see how different you both are as well as how alike I know you'll be.  That's just the nature of siblings, I suppose.  You'll both have your talents and gifts to give, but let's face it, you came from the same parents, so you'll probably both roll your eyes at me the same way when we go shopping and I tell you that you're not allowed to buy a skirt that short so don't even THINK about it, young lady!

Judging by how much Sylvia is like Daddy and his side of the family, I'm really hoping you resemble the Humberts or the Neltners.  Then again, Sylvia is pretty darn cute, so we already know the Fasciotto genes make good looking babies!  It's a win-win.  All of this is to say that we just can't wait to SEE you!  And hold you, and kiss you, and snuggle with you and sing to you and act like fools around you.  Sylvia and Daddy are downright giddy about your arrival.  Maybe they're a little jealous that I've been allowed to spend all this sweet time with you and they haven't yet.  Between those two and all the other family members lined up to hold you, I doubt I'll ever get to see you again!  So take your time in there, okay?  Let me enjoy these last four weeks of our time together.  Let me soak up your movements and let me feel good about giving you everything you could ever possibly need at this moment.  I already love being your Mama.  And I know it's only going to get better and better.

Love you forever,
Mama

1 comment:

Erin Lynne said...

I love your letters to your babies... just LOVE them!