(Two posts in one day? What's going on?)
Okay, I'm just going to come out and say it. I can't stop thinking about babies! I'm obsessed with the Swistle Baby Name blog (thanks, Meredith) and now that we have a house in the near future, the next looming question is....when will we have our own little pooper?? Here are my current dilemmas:
1. I want our baby to be born at the end of the school year (late April or early May) so that my maternity leave will back up to a summer so I have at least three months home with the precious one before going back to work. That's a tall order and I know that orchestrating a due date is next to impossible.
2. I want my Mom to move to Louisville so she is within screaming distance when I need help. Not gonna happen.
3. I like to drink. HUGE problem.
4. I can't stop this nagging feeling..."What if this is our last fall/winter/spring/summer as a family of two?" I LOVE spending time with my husband. I LOVE wasting time on Sundays and taking my time getting work done. I just finished grad school and want some freaking down time...am I ready for a little pooper who requires 200% of my attention?
5. Every time I see a baby in real life, my body screams, "Why don't you have one of those?!" It's getting harder and harder to ignore.
6. Did I mention how much I love to drink? I can't watch a football game without at least two large beers (and some homemade chili...yummmmmm); I can't read a good book without a few glasses of wine, and I can barely make it through a work week without fantasizing about which bar we'll go to on Friday night! That's horrible, I know, but it's the truth.
7. I want to have a baby on the same day as Laura. Then I won't feel so alone and fat all the time.
So, while all of this decision making is up in the air, I just thought I might as well put it out there on the Internet. And I can tell you...Swistle is not helping. There are SO MANY cute names out there these days, it's almost like I have to have a baby just so I can name one. Ridiculous.
This is such a far cry from my thoughts two years ago. I actually wrote a piece for the Bluegrass Writing Project titled "15 Reasons Why I'll Never Get Pregnant," and they were graphic reasons!! The folks at my old school would laugh in my face if I told them I was seriously considering this baby thing. (I wanted to call in sick for the entire week preceding a fellow teacher's due date because I was afraid that if her water broke it would flood my classroom!) But now I'm kind of thinking, "Won't that be fun, to tell them all I'm pregnant? They will just DIE!"
Alas, like all other things in life, I have to be patient. Li'l pooper will come. He/she will have the perfect name and the perfect family. Things will work out and I don't have to control everything. Damn, that feels good!
Back to School Takes 6 Weeks, You Guys.
1 day ago