Thursday, March 20, 2008

Saying Goodbye

It's only March, and I know I have a lot of school year left. I also know that the end of this school year will be full of lots of exciting events (moving to Louisville, mainly). But I'm already dreading saying goodbye to 21 of the most amazing people I've ever met.

I was filling out report cards tonight and I turned on some music. I was listening to "Falling Slowly" when I started looking at my students' names, picturing their faces (instead of their grades and meaningless numbers), imagining them smile in my head. I started thinking about what they'll look like when they grow up...what kind of people they'll be and I almost cried. These kids are AWESOME. Some of them really have it rough, and some of them are completely set for life - but none of that matters. The only thing that matters is that they encounter positive and encouraging people until they become successful. I'm going to miss them SO MUCH.

This was a hard year for me because my class last year was unbeatable. They were the ones I thought I would always compare every other class against. But now I'm starting to think that something special happens between the snow days, report cards, and tests. Tonight was that "aha!" moment when I realized that this is my favorite class. I can't imagine teaching without these kids. I have some of the most unique combinations of personalities I've ever seen. I could write a book about Scottie...or Alaa...or Daija...or Caleb...or ANY of them.

All I want is for all of them to be genuinely happy. I've taught them how to multiply and how to describe the life cycle and how to take lots and lots and lots of tests...but I still have to teach them how to be happy. How do you teach that? How do you keep them smiling forever and ever? How do you keep them from ever being hurt or disappointed or stressed?

I can't wait to see them tomorrow, even thought they drive me crazy. I worry about instructional time and exit slips and novice scores and who needs the most help - when I should be treasuring this last quarter with the coolest people in the world. I love teaching, but I hate the end of the year. I don't want to trade out this class for a new one. I like this one. It's the best class I've ever had.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I had a moment like this during report cards too. I think it was seeing the last blank comments box, knowing that "Have a Great Summer" was almost here.

You are such a great teacher - your students are lucky to have you!