Sunday, July 17, 2011

What a Weekend!

My loving and wonderful husband, along with my loving and wonderful parents, planned a great weekend getaway for us in Lexington.  Mom and Jay met us Saturday afternoon and took Sylvia up to their house for the night.  Let me say that again: they TOOK MY CHILD AWAY FROM ME.  Do I sound mad, or sad, or upset?  Because I wasn't.  I was so, incredibly happy!  I love my daughter more than anything, but taking her for the night, and letting us have some fun, was the world's greatest gift.  I was thrilled!

Before I tell you how much fun I had this weekend, let me give you a little sneak peek at how much fun Sylvia had:

 (I took this video when we went to pick her up today - she did NOT miss me!)

After Mom and Jay took our kid, I found out that we would not be staying at a friend's house!  Instead, Mom and Jay got us a hotel room (as a birthday present) and I almost cried when I realized that I'd be sleeping in a giant, comfy, QUIET bed, without a baby waking me up in the morning.  Here's what we found when we got into the room...


 What I thought was an enormous box of chocolates turned out to be these babies!  Woah, Mama!


When I had a glass of champagne in one hand, a strawberry in the other, and a cozy couch underneath me, I told Sylvain I wasn't leaving the room.  Ever.  I told him to cancel all of our plans, because the champagne and strawberries were more than enough to fill me up for the night.  But then he reminded me why we came - we had reservations at the world's greatest restaurant - Malone's!  I sighed when I realized that I'm very, very lucky.

I suppose there are lots of people in Lexington that can eat at Malone's whenever they want, because some of the patrons were not as dressed up as I think everyone should be.  To us, Malone's is a big deal - for very special occasions - and we haven't been there since December 29th, 2009.  Laura talked me into buying a new blue dress just for this dinner, and darn it, we looked goooooood!  I've been dreaming about this meal for months.  We had the Lexingtonian Salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing, I had the filet medallions crusted with bleu cheese and a side of fresh asparagus.  People, there is little in this world that makes me as happy as this food.  It is worth every penny and I savored every bite!  YUM!!!


Sylvain was very cryptic about our after-dinner plans, so I assumed something was up.  I figured we'd be meeting up with some friends to have drinks, but I though there would only be a few, since almost all of our friends have babies.  Well, there were more than a few folks waiting for us next door at Harry's Bar!  It was pretty much everyone I love in Lexington, PLUS a couple of babies!  Yippee!!

 Michael, Sylvain, Pete, Emily, Ben, and Emily.  

John, Megan, Clover, Laura (Ellie in her carrier!), Krista, Emily

 My awesome (and delicious) 80's themed cupcakes!


 Sylvain never smiles with teeth!  I love this picture!!!

 Laura and Ellie, right after she woke up and caught a glimpse of the lights and ceiling fan.

 John and Clover


 Thanks for talking me into this dress, Laura!

We sat outside, had some drinks, and chit-chatted about the good old days for hours and hours.  Then, around 11:30, Michael and I were ready to sing karaoke, or go dancing, or party until the "breaka breaka dawn," in his words.  But then I remembered that I'm old, and I thought about that amazing hotel bed and the fluffy cloud pillows, and I really, really, REALLY wanted to get a good night's sleep.  When everyone else left, so did we, and it was the right move.   I was tucked in and fast asleep by midnight.  We're not as young as we used to be, and I don't mind one bit!  


We checked out this morning and I said a tearful goodbye to our hotel room.  I was excited to get up to Mom's house and see my Nugget, though!  Clearly, she didn't even know I was gone.  She generally behaved like a wild woman, and I'm sure Mom was exhausted after trying to keep up with her.  
Since I'm a sucker for getting stuck with my baby in awkward public situations, I thought it would be a great idea to invite Ann and Cecilia out to a movie.  Ann loves Winnie the Pooh and always has, so as soon as I saw the previews a few months ago, I knew we would have to do this.  It was Sylvia's and Cecilia's first movie, so there was no telling how this would work out.

 Wouldn't you know, those girls sat on our laps and watched the WHOLE DANG MOVIE!!!  I could not believe it.  Sylvia never once fussed, or squirmed or tried to run around the theater.  Ann brought a few Winnie the Pooh toys, and we both smuggled in plenty of baby snacks, so these girls had the time of their lives!  It was a ton of fun.

 Cecilia was decked out in the finest Pooh Bear jumper.  What a cutie pie!

After the movie, Sylvia was worn out, so we popped over to Dad's house to drop of a birthday present for Sally (Happy Birthday!!!) and then we headed on home.  Now for a nice relaxing week or two before our entire world gets turned upside down.  I'll post soon about the house selling details, I'm forcing myself not to think about it for a while.

2 comments:

Laura said...

yay for fabulous weekend surprises!! so glad you had as much fun as we did :)

Grammy said...

One little piece you left out.. Sylvia even made it to church Sunday morning and did great. Just a couple of her "happy squeals", and a couple times when the music stopped she clapped -- she thought she was at a concert. We had a ball with her, and glad you had a ball without her. :)